Tomato Soup is a very rich and creamy dish with smooth and buttery texture and little Sweet , Sour and spicy in taste. It can be made with fresh tomatoes or canned tomato puree. It is a very well known soup and easily available at any restaurant. It can also be easily prepared at home with a few ingredients that are normally always available at home . It can be made with variety of methods with the additional ingredients of your choice.
Here is a simple recipe of tomato soup made with fresh tomatoes ,carrots , cream and butter served with some croutons . Simple yet delicious and healthy . Lets get started.
Let’s have a look at Ingredients :
These are the ingredients needed for the tomato soup
- Fresh Tomatoes – 6 to 7
- Carrots – 2 Small Carrots
- Onion – 1 Medium Size
- Butter – 2 Tbsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Cream – 2 Tbsp
- Garlic – 4 to 5 Cloves
- Ginger – 1/2 Inch
- Bayleaf – 1
- Black Pepper corn -1/4 Tsp
- Red Chilli Powder -1/4 Tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1 Pinch
- Some Fresh Coriander Stems
Let’s start with the recipe :
- Chop the tomatoes roughly (no specific size just cut into pieces ) .
- Heat the pan and add 1 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp of butter . Let the butter melt .
- When the butter melts add onion and saute for a minute .
- Add bayleaf , black pepper corn , garlic cloves and ginger and saute .
- Add carrots and tomatoes and saute a little .
- Add 1/4 tsp chilli powder and pinch of turmeric powder .
- Mix everything well .
- Add enough water so that the tomatoes are just immersed init completely (approximately 1 cup of water should be sufficient) .
- Add coriander stems and little salt (as per taste) and stir to mix .Coriander stems helps to enhance the taste .
- Cover with lid and cook till tomatoes gets mashed.It will take around 10 -15 minutes .
- When the tomatoes are cooked and mushy switch off the flame and let the mixture cool down .
- Once the mixture gets cooled, remove the bayleaf and transfer the remaining mixture into a mixi jar and make a fine puree out of it.
- Strain this puree through strainer so that seeds and skin of the tomatoes get removed and mixture will become smooth in texture.
- If the puree is a bit thick then add little water to adjust the consistency .Do not add more water or the puree would become runny and thin.
- The puree should be little thicker .I have added 1 more cup of water after straining the puree.
- Put the strained puree on to the gas and switch on the flame .
- Add 1/4 tsp of crushed black pepper .
- Add 2 tbsp of sugar .You can add any sugar (brown or white) .
- Add some salt if required as we have added salt in previous step .
- Mix it all together and allow it to boil for at list 15 to 20 minutes on low flame so all the ingredients mix well in the soup and incorporate their taste and soup gets smooth texture .
- At last add 2 tbsp cream. Add cream little by little and mix well. Stir continuously while adding cream .
- Switch off the flame right after adding the cream else will not get the smooth texture of soup .
Let’s make Croutons for the soup :
Croutons are nothing but small bread cubes shallow or deep fried in butter or olive oil until it get’s brown and crisp. You can also bake it in oven. Croutons helps to increase the taste and look of the soup. Here i am going to shallow fry these croutons.
- Take off the bread sides and cut into small cubes .
- Heat some butter in a pan .
- Add these small cubes in a pan .
- Fry until it turns to golden brown and crisp .
It’s time to Serve
Serve the soup while hot with adding some crisp croutons into it . Garnish with little cream on top and enjoy with garlic bread or sandwich or you can have as it is. Choice is yours but either way you will feel the same great taste and happiness.
Do try this recipe and if you like, share with your family and friends .
Let me know the feedback in comment .Thanks for reading .
Happy Eating !!!!!!
Tbsp =Table spoon
Tsp= Tea spoon