Dum aloo is flavourful, rich and creamy dish traditionally most popular in Kashmir , Bengal and North region of India . It is a very popular restaurant dish made with fried baby potatoes and variety of Indian spices. There are different ways of making dum aloo . The most popular types of this dish are “Kashmiri dum aloo” and “Punjabi dum aloo“. Punjabi dum aloo mainly based on onion and tomato gravy with some cashew paste. Kashmiri dum aloo gravy is based on yogurt.
Here I am sharing yogurt based gravy recipe.This is very simple and easy to make with very little ingredients and less time.You can have this with chapati ,roti or naan but this gravy tastes better with steamed rice.
Let’s have a look at ingredients :
Let’s start the process :
- Take 1 cup of yogurt and whisk it with the help of whisker for smooth texture.
- Add 1tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder into it.
- Add 1 tsp coriander powder.
- Add 1/2 tsp cumin powder.
- Add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- mix everything well and keep it a side for a while.
In Kashmiri cuisine they generally mix the masalas(spices) into water and then add into sabji (vegetable). So lets make a paste of all spices. Add all the spices in a bowl and add some water .
- Add 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder into a small bowl.
- Add 1/2 tsp Asafoetida (hing).
- Add 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder.
- Add 1tsp fennel seed powder.
- Add 1 -2 tbsp water and make a paste and keep it a side foe a while.We can use it later in the gravy.
Generally in dum aloo recipe baby potatoes are peeled and deep fried directly. But here I have first boiled potatoes and then shallow fried them to avoid too much consumption of oil.
- Take 10 -12 baby potatoes, boil (I had taken 1 whistle in pressure cooker) and peel them.
- Prick them with the help of fork so that gravy gets absorbed into it and gets a good taste from inside as well.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder on potatoes.
- Add some salt to taste.
- Add some red chilli powder and coat nicely all these on potatoes.
- Heat the pan and add 4 -5 tbsp of oil in to the pan or Kadhai .
- Once the oil gets hot add potatoes into it.
- Fry them until they get crisp from outside and little golden brown colour.
- When potatoes are done take off from the pan.
- Take off the remaining oil from Kadhai.
- In same pan add 1 tbsp oil.
- Add 1 bay leaf.
- Add 1 cinnamon stick.
- Add 3-4 cardamom.
- Add 1/2 tsp black peppercorn and 2-3 dry red chillies.
- Add 1 cup of yogurt and spices mixture which we we have prepared before. Keep the flame low.
- Stir continuously
- Add masala ghol (spices paste) which we have prepared earlier.
- Add little water to adjust the consistency of gravy.
- Stir continuously and let the gravy boil.
- Once the gravy reaches to the boiling point add potatoes and mix well.
- Add little salt and keep lid on and cook for 10 min or till oil can be seen on the top of the gravy. (cook on very low flame.)
When you can see the oil on top of the gravy switch off the gas.This is the sign the gravy is done and your dish is ready.
Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy !!!!!!!
Do try the recipe and let me know the the feedback in comments below
If you like the blog please follow and share !!!!! Thanks for Visiting my Blog