Masala Toast Sandwich
(Mumbai Masala Toast || Street Snacks )
Masala Toast Sandwich is one of the famous street food of Mumbai.It is made with masala aloo , spicy green chutney and some finely chopped vegetables filled in a bread and toasted well with butter till golden brown and crisp outside. Finally garnished with sev. We can add cheese into it to make a Cheese Masala Toast.
Masala Aloo is the main ingredient in this sandwich. It makes sandwich more delicious and filled. Traditionally in this sandwich particular vegetables are used like onion, tomatoes ,cucumber, Capsicum, beetroot but there is no any hard and fast rule you can use any vegetables of your choice .
typically This sandwich is toasted in a hand toaster on gas but we can toast in a sandwich maker or simply on a pan as well.
Let’s start with ingredients:
- Onion – 1 medium size.
- Tomatoes – 2 medium size.
- Cucumber – 1 medium size.
- Green Bell Pepper- 1 small.
- Beetroot – 1 small.
- Bread – 4 slice.
- Butter – 2 Tbsp.
- Cheese Slice – 2.
- Boiled Potatoes – 3 small size.
- Salt – as per taste.
- Mustard Seeds -1/2 Tsp.
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 Tsp.
- Turmeric Powder -1/4 Tsp.
- Asafoetida – 1/8 Tsp.
- Green Chillies -3-4 no. or as per taste.
- Ginger -1 Tbsp(grated).
- Fresh Coriander Leaves -2 Tbsp(Finely chopped).
- Oil -2 Tbsp.
- Coriander and mint Chutney – 4 to5 Tbsp.
Let’s start the process :
- Boil 3 Medium Size Potatoes.
- Peel and Chop them into small cubes.
- Heat the pan.
- Add 2 Tbsp oil.
- Once the oil is hot add 1/2 Tsp mustard seeds and 1/2 Tsp cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add 1/8 Tsp Asafoetida.
- Add 3- 4 green chillies (Adjust the spiciness according to your taste).
- Add 1 Tbsp grated ginger.
- Saute for a minute to remove the raw smell of ginger.
- Add boiled and chopped potatoes and mix.
- Add 1/4 Tsp of turmeric powder.
- Add salt as per taste and mix everything well.
- At last add 2 Tbsp of finely chopped coriander and mix well.
- Mash the potatoes with help of Spatula.
- Our masala aloo is ready.
Let’s make Green Chutney for Sandwich:
- Take 1 cup of fresh coriander leaves and 9-10 mint leaves.
- Add 1/2 inch of ginger.
- Add 2-3 green chillies or according to your taste.
- Add some salt.
- Grind it into grinder and make a very fine paste.
Now it’s time to assemble the sandwiches :
- Take 2 slices of bread.
- Apply butter on both slices.
- Spread some green chutney on one slice of bread.
- Then Spread good amount of masala aloo all over the slice.
- Put some onion Slice on the bread.
- Put some cucumber, tomato, bell pepper and beetroot slice.
- sprinkle some salt and chat masala on vegetables.
- Finally put one slice of cheese and close the sandwich with another slice of bread.
- Grease the sandwich maker with some butter.
- apply some butter at the top side of the bread so that it can be toast well and get a crisp outside.
- Close the sandwich maker lid and toast it till golden brown and crisp outside.
- It will take around 5-7 min.
- Masala Toast Sandwich is ready.
Cut the sandwich in desired shape.Garnish with some fine sev and pomegranate and enjoy with green chutney or tomato sauce.
If you like the recipe please leave your comments, share your like and follow my blog.
You can watch whole process of making lemon rice here