Veg Dum Biryani
Veg Biryani is basically a flavourful rice (preferably basmati rice) cooked with Indian spices and vegetables. In Dum biryani vegetables and rice are layered on each other and cooked on very low flame. Dum is a slow cooking method. In this process the ingredients are enclosed in a Handi or thick base pot and the lid is sealed. This way it uses the steam to cook the ingredients and enhances flavours.
This is very rich and flavourful dish served with raita or curry.
Let’s start with ingredients:
Please scroll across to see all the ingredients
- Cloves : 5 to 6 pieces
- Black Cumin Seeds :(Shahi Jeera) 1 teaspoon
- Peppercorn : 1/4th teaspoon
- Cardamom : 10 to 12 pieces
- Bay Leaf : 1 or 2
- Cinnamon : 1 medium stick
- Star anise : 2 pieces
- Coriander Leaves: Finely chopped 1/4th Cup
- Mint Leaves : 12 to 15 leaves
- Ginger Garlic paste / Grated : 2 tablespoon
- Yogurt : 1 and 1/2 cup
- Saffron soaked milk : 1 tablespoon milk with pinch of saffron
- Rice : 250 grams i.e. approx 1 cup
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) : 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil : 1/2 cup
- Mix Vegetables : 250 grams. Rice to Vegetable ratio should be 1:1. I have used Cauliflower , French Beans, Green peas, Paneer. You can also add veggies of your choice.
- Onions : 2 large size sliced
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala : 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder : 1 teaspoon
- Salt : as per taste
- Green Chilli: 3 to 4 slitted
- Red Chilli Powder : 2 tablespoon
Let’s start the process :
Step 1: Soak Rice :
- Take 250 grams of basmati rice in a bowl (approx 1 cup).
- Wash it 2 -3 times properly.
- Soak in water for at least 30 minutes.
Step 2: Marinate Vegetables :
- Take 250 grams of vegetables of your choice. The amount of vegetables is equal to amount of rice (1:1 ratio). Green peas, French beans , Cauliflower ,Carrots are generally used in vegetable biryani. Here I am not using carrot in this recipe . I have used paneer instead.
- Add 1 tbsp of ginger – garlic paste or grated.
- Add 3-4 green cardamom.
- Add 3-4 cloves.
- Add 1/4 tsp of peppercorns.
- Add 1 star anise.
- Add 1/2 tsp of shahi jeera (black cumin seeds).
- Add 2 green chillies slitted.
- Add 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Add 1 tsp of garam masala powder.
- Add 1 tsp of coriander powder.
- Add 2 tsp of red chilli powder.
- Add some sliced onions.
- Add some chopped coriander leaves.
- Add 5-6 mint leaves (crush with hands and add).
- Add some salt to taste.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup of yogurt.
- Mix everything well and keep it for marination for at least 15 -20 min.
Step 3: Make brown onions (Birista) :
Basically ,onions are finely sliced and deep fried in a oil until it gets nice brown colour and crisp.These crispy brown onions are called birista. Birista is used in biryani as well as in many curries.
- Add 1/2 cup of oil in a pan.
- Add 2 large finely sliced onions.
- Deep fry them on medium flame till colour changes to brown.
- Take off onion from oil on tissue paper to remove excess oil.
- Brown onions are ready. Keep it aside for later use.
Step 4: Cook Rice :
- Boil 2 ltr of water.
- Add 2 bayleaf’s.
- Add 1 star anis.
- Add 3-4 green cardamom.
- Add 3-4 cloves.
- Add some peppercorns and 1 cinnamon stick .
- Add 3 Tbsp of salt.(salt should be little more so that when we strain the water it will be in right amount)
- Add 1 tbsp of oil and let the water boil.
- Once the water is boiling add soaked rice in it.
- Let the rice cook on high flame for 2 -3 mins.
- Then keep flame low and cook rice for another 2 -3 mins.
- Cook rice till 80 percent done.Do not cook rice completely.
- Strain the water from rice and keep aside.
Step 5 : Cook the vegetables:
- In a thick base pot add 1-2 tbsp of oil.
- Add some cardamom, black cumin seeds (shahi jeera) , and peppercorns.
- Add 1 Tbsp of ginger-garlic paste or grated.
- Saute it for 1-2 min.
- Add marinated vegetable mixture and mix everything well.
- Adjust the salt and keep the lid and cook for 5 min.(Don’t cook vegetables completely as they are going to cook in dum.)
Step 6 : Layer the rice and vegetables :
- Keep the flame low.
- Add rice on vegetables and spread evenly in entire pot.
- Add 1 tbsp of ghee(clarified butter).
- Add some brown onions.
- Add some mint leaves.
- Add some chopped coriander.
- Add 1 tbsp of saffron soaked milk.
Note: Do not mix the ingredients. We have to layer first rice on the vegetables and then sprinkle other ingredients on top of rice.
Step 7 : Give it a dum :
- Cover the pot with aluminium foil so that steam won’t come out. (Or you can use wheat dough to seal the lid)
- Put lid and cook the biryani on very low flame for 15 -20 mins.
- After 15-20 mins the biryani is ready.
Biryani ready to Serve
Serve hot with raita or curry.
Do try this recipe. If you like it let me know in the comments below.
If you like my blog please like, share and follow my blog.
Happy reading !!!!!!!!!!
For video recipe checkout my youtube video link below: