“Upwas Dhokla” is made with sama rice and sago. Sama rice is known by different name across India like Samo rice, Sama rice , Moriyo , Bhagar , Variche tandul. It is generally consumed during fasting (vrat) day.
Sama rice dhokla is very easy to make and delicious too. Normally the fasting food is fried or not so healthy . Sama rice is Gluten free and non fried , so its healthy option for all. ITs also helps to achieve the true purpose of fasting.
- Take 1 cup of sama rice (Bhagar) in a mixi jar.
- Grind it coarsely .(Do not grind into a fine powder .Texture should be like semolina.)
- Transfer it in a bowl.
- Take 2 tbsp of sago (sabudana) in a mixi jar.
- Same way grind coarsely.
- Transfer it in a bowl.
- In a large bowl transfer the sama rice flour which we have made earlier.
- Add previously made sago flour in it.
- Mix both flours together.
- Add 1/2 cup of curd in to flour mixture and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
- Put the lid and let the batter rest at least for 15 minutes.
While the batter is resting let’s make steamer ready to steam the dhokla.
- Add 1 glass of water in a idli cooker. You can use any wide mouth pot or cooker for steaming.
- Put the lid and keep the water for boiling.
- Grease the dhokla plate with some oil.
- While soaking flour for 15 minutes it will absorb the water and swells a little.
- After soaking the batter add approx 1/2 cup of water to adjust the consistency. Batter should have pouring consistency ( semi thick).
- After that add salt to taste to the batter (approx 1 tsp of salt).
- Add 1 tbsp of green chilli paste.( coarsely grind).
- Mix everything together.
- Add 1 tbsp of powdered sugar in the batter and mix.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil (groundnut oil is preferable as we are making this dhokla for fast(vrat)). and mix well.
- Add 1/2 tsp of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).
- Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice and mix well.
- Now transfer the mixture immediately into the greased plate.
- Tap the plate 2 -3 times so that it will remove the air bubbles if any.
- Keep the plate into cooker and steam it for 15 -20 minutes on medium flame.(make sure water in the cooker is boiled and steam is formed before putting the dhokla batter plate into the cooker).
- After 15 minutes the dhokla is ready.
- Take off the plate and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes.
While dhokla is getting cool let’s prepare the tadka:
- Heat the kadhai or tadka pan.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of oil in it (preferably groundnut oil).
- Once the oil is hot add 1 tsp of cumin seeds (jeera) and let them cracker.
- You can also add curry leaves if its ok for you during fasting.
- Cut the dhokla into square pieces.
- Pour the tadka on top of dhokla.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Dhokla is ready to serve !!.Serve it as it is or can have with peanut chutney.
If you like the recipe please like my post and follow my blog for more such interesting recipes.
Happy reading !!!!!!!!!
For video recipe please check my youtube video given below. If you like the video please also subscribe to my youtube channel.