Sabudana Vada is a popular home and street side snack from Maharashtra ,India. Its usually prepared during fasting (Vrat) . This crunchy deep fried fritters is made with Sabudana (Sago), Peanuts ,Potatoes and some spices. It’s a very delicious snack thats crunchy from outside and soft from inside. Generally served with Peanut chutney and sweet Curd or with green chutney .In some region of Maharashtra it is served with Cucumber -Peanut raita ( chutney) .This little sweet raita absolutely complement and enhance the taste of vada. It tastes more yum while it is hot.
It is easy to make and just need some preparation of soaking the sabudana 5-6 hours before making. It’s really a feast specially for fasting people as generally they have a limited choices of food appropriate for fasting. Many people just keep the fast only for such delicious food items or have it without fast as well.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know in the comments below ..I am sure you will really like this.
- Soaked Sabudana (Sago) : 2 Cup
- Potatoes : 2
- Crushed Roasted Peanuts : 1 Cup
- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
- Green chilli : 3-4 (As per preference )
- Coriander leaves : 1/4 cup
- Lemon Juice : 1 Tbsp
- Salt : As per taste
- Oil -For frying
- Take 2 cups of soaked sabudana (Sago ) in a bowl
- Below is soak process in brief:
Take 1 cup sabudana, wash it properly 3-4 times and soak in 2-3 Tbsp of water. Soak at least for 4-5 hour or overnight is also ok.
- Add 1 cup of coarsely grind peanuts ( Roast the peanuts before grinding) in sabudana.
- Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds. (If you are not consuming cumin seeds during fasting then can skip this ).
- Add 3-4 green chilies finely chopped ( Add less or more chilli as per your spice level ).
- Add 1/4th cup of finely chopped fresh coriander. (This is also an optional, If you are not consuming this during fasting then can skip this)
- Add Salt to taste.
- Mix everything together.
- Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Sorry the above picture is not clear.
- Add 2 big size boiled potatoes in the mixture.
- While adding mash with the hands.
- Potatoes should not be very mushy like paste.It should have some shape.
- Combine everything very well and kneed the dough as shown in the image above.
- Make small balls out of this mixture.
- Press the mixture ball in between the palm and flatten it.
- Keep the palm little curved ,so that vada will get the proper convex shape on both the sides.
- This way make all the vada’s.
- Heat the oil in kadhai. Wait till oil is very hot.
- Fry the vada in hot oil and keep the flame medium.
- Don’t touch the vada immediately after adding in oil .Let it fry for 2-3 minute then flip over and fry from other side.
- Fry until get golden brown colour from both the sides . Flip in between.
Like wise fry all the vada and serve with peanut chutney , green chutney or simply with sweet curd.
Serve when it’s hot.
Here is the video recipe for sabudana vada .Do check it out.
If you like the video please subscribe to my youtube channel .
How do you like this recipe please let me know in the comment below , For such more recipes stay connected .
Happy Reading !!!!